Thursday, May 20, 2010

1[hel]L (of a) Year

I’ve fielded a lot of questions from friends since returning home from my first year of law school. Some of the questions seem to hedge around the idea that I’ve been enrolled at Hogwarts, and that I’ve gained some sort of magical law powers. I can assure you that this is not the case.

I think many first year law students would agree that the first year of law school is grueling. In fact, there are probably some similarities between 1L year and fighting a war. Every day is spent dodging bullets, anticipating the enemy’s moves, honing your skills, and preparing for the next day’s offensive strike. It’s mentally challenging, like a game of chess that lasts for 8 months. My class had 5-6 casualties in the first year (that’s about a 3% fatality rate, in case you were wondering). But, enough with the analogies, the bottom line is that although it can be tough, I love learning the law, and could not be happier to be in law school. As my friend Jake once said, “The Law is brilliant, man.” I concur, Jake.

This summer is shaping up to be a lot of fun. I am working for the U.S. Army JAG Corps as a summer legal intern at Scott Air Force Base and living in St. Louis, MO. My St. Louis summer bucket list includes hanging-out with Nelly and hitting some BP with Albert (“stinky”) Pujols. I will be sure to snap some pics if either of these happen.


AM

No comments:

Post a Comment