Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Why dream when you can do?

Lots of people have dreams. My friend Jesse says he has wet ones all the time, but I'm not exactly sure what that means. I've had lots of dreams too. When I was a little kid my parents friends would always ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I would always reply as if from a script, "I want to be a pilot, an engineer and an astronaut!" Of course right around middle school I realized I was terrible at math which pretty much destroyed my destiny. The point that I want to make is that having a dream without any regard for a realistic goal is not only doomed to fail but is also just flat out lying to yourself. For example, I play in a local rock band in VA Beach that plays the bar circuit. We've been doing it for a few years now and we've played with a lot of bands. Some of these bands are pretty good and some of them are awful. The whole dreamer mentality is pretty easy to see with some of the guys in these bands. They think their big break is right around the corner, but they don't even realize that they are ugly and untalented. I think you have to be talented or good looking (both is probably best i.e. John Mayer/Fergie - okay Fergie's not talented) in order to make it in the music business. Even that's a big maybe. I've been thinking a lot about the differences between being a dreamer and being a doer. I realized that I am a doer and I like being around the doers. I definitely understand that sometimes it takes a dream to start the doing, but my beef is with the unrealistic and unwilling to work on their dreams dreamers. If your dream has a chance of attainability then go for it with everything you have, but if not then don't lie to yourself just for a false sense of security. First rant over and out.

2 comments: