Thursday, April 2, 2009

Gym Culture

There isn't much in the world that makes me happier than seeing a fat guy on a treadmill. Senior citizens wearing headbands and wristbands comes in a close second for me, but I am really partial to seeing the fat guy sweating off the pounds. I workout at the YMCA, and during my workout today I was thinking about "universal gym culture" if there is such a thing. You know, the kind of stuff you'd see at just about any gym. So here are a few that I came up with:

1. The person that fills up their whole water bottle at the water-fountain. This person doesn't care about the massive line of dehydrated people that has formed behind them because they are on a mission to fill up their 60oz Nalgene.

2. The lady with the eating disorder. I have seen this girl at every gym I have ever been to. She looks like a skeleton and smells like cigarette smoke, but she somehow musters the energy for a two-hour Precor session.

3. The military guy. His shorts are always too short and he usually has the arm-band iPod holder. This guy keeps to himself and can always be seen doing pull-ups and squats.

4. The fat lady that just walks around the gym. This person thinks that just by being at the gym or standing next to a treadmill she will be redeemed for the Ho-Ho's she ate on the drive over.

5. The personal trainer. This guy is usually about 30 years-old with massive muscles. After this guy graduates from college with a degree in Physical Fitness he realizes that he has no viable career prospects and no control over his life. In a state of depression he decides that he will make an hourly wage by bringing pain and misery to anyone misfortunate enough to hire his services.

8 comments:

  1. This was hilarious.

    I was the guy who sat on the machine for a long time as if I was praying, then finally used it, then did the Olympic-sprinter-after-a-run walk around, then drank some water, then looked at the mirror, then finally left, and never returned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I love this...so true, but there is another which I ALWAYS see...
    The guys who come do a couple bench presses, walk around to show everyone they are there, and leave lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this. Reading this at 1:12 am in the morning, this is great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you forgot about the unsung hero of the gym culture::::the guy who never goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaron:::anonymous is me josh mchugh III

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need to reed amy hammond's blog on gym culture. its pretty hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true dude, but don't forget the roid guy. They are tough to spot at real gyms these days, you have to work out at the Rec to spot these massive, endangered hulks. You know the guy. Baggy at the top, tight at the bottom work out pants, huge, bright colored tank top, sweet high tops. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww crap- I'm the water fountain water bottle filler girl!
    I did that today.
    Thanks, now I feel like a total loser...
    More so than usual that is :)

    ReplyDelete